Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Movie Reviews: Warm Bodies



Not all the time, but sometimes a movie comes along that somehow makes a perfect connection with a person and its Movie kismet. It is the thing that people talk about when they talk about fate. Well I think I met my soul mate in movie form and that movie is Warm Bodies.

I’m not huge into the Zombie genre really. I’ve tried to like it in fits in starts but it’s never been my bag. Other than Romero, I haven’t been into it as a whole. That’s not to say there haven’t been some bright spots here and there *cough Shaun of the Dead I love you cough*, but I’ve never really gotten hooked into the genre. So I’m not sure what I was expecting when I saw Warm Bodies. All I knew is that it felt like a new take on the genre and I was interesting to see what would happen.

What I didn’t expect is how well it blended older, much older ideas into the genre. The Romeo and Juliet notes this movie hit were exactly the right ones. I mean, the characters’ names are R and Julia for crying out loud. And that balcony scene almost caused a fit of hysterics in me for reasons I can’t quite explain. The idea of a zombie courting a girl in that old-fashioned way just makes me smile every time I think about it.

And everybody was great in this movie. Nicholas Hoult was doing yeoman’s work as R, the zombie who was finding his humanity again, which could not have been easy. And finally, miracle of all miracles, I like Rob Corddry in something. I didn’t think I’d ever see the day, but he was strangely perfect in this. But the biggest stand out of all for me was surprisingly. Perhaps I’m still angry she didn’t win her season of ANTM and I think it is fitting revenge when she’s in things and she’s excellent. Or perhaps she was just this perfect quirky palate cleanser to the whole thing. If you want to jump aboard the Analeigh Tipton needs more work train, I’ll be your conductor.

I’m so utterly pleased with this movie that I’ve seen it twice and I hope it is on cable enough that I can watch it about a gazillion more times. Love. Through and through, it’s an A.

No comments: