Monday, December 02, 2013

Trifecta Challenge: Tush



“Tush up hon,” the kind nurse with a hint of a drawl in her voice says, as she changes my pads. My mom is helping to pick me up and everything aches. I want to scream, but it’s more guttural, always has been. I’d just assume lay in my own waste and be comfortable a day or two than be clean and in unbearable pain this close to the end.

Still, I guess I get it. I can’t fault ‘em for running a tight ship. Their just doing their job and letting me die in the comfort of my own home is a job I’m grateful anybody will do at all.

I’m fading fast. Everyone in the room knows it. My mom is the only one who can’t admit it to herself. I don’t blame her for her denial. The prognosis went from a few months, to a few weeks, to only a few days in less time than it takes to get a gun. If I hadn’t known it to be the end, I’d be in denial too.

I’m more out than in now. Consciousness doesn’t have the allure it once had. I overheard the nurses tell my mom it won’t be long before my breath becomes thready, signaling the end. A day or two tops.

But I ain’t giving up yet. I gotta hold out ‘til Henry gets here. He made me promise.

I’m not sure what time it is, when mom whispers in my ear that Henry made it. He’s a blur. I can’t make him out, but his voice comes through loud and clear. I’m not sure if I’m smiling or even if I can. I hear his voice and I’m at peace with him, with mom, with everything.

I had a lot I wanted to say, but no real way of saying it. Without wasting any time, he brought out his guitar and started strumming and I realized there was nothing left to say. 

************************************************************
 The following story is my entry into the Trifecta Challenge, this week's word being tush.

9 comments:

Trifecta said...


A sad and powerful write this. Your striking line is "I'm fading fast" and makes the reader push on, hoping for Henry to get there. Am glad he does. Thanks for linking up!

kymm said...

Love this line:
Consciousness doesn’t have the allure it once had

There really isn't that much to say in the end.

Unknown said...

Sad write - well done. Great use of the prompt and great look at her inner thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I have a lump in my throat, but managed not to cry. I'm amazed at how a dying person does have some control over how long they can hang on when there is reason to do so (like the person they want to be with them one more time.) This actually happened with my grandpa. He'd died while I was on my way (the nurse checked and there was no pulse.) But he came back, and passed away a couple hours later, with all of us in the room.

Draug said...

Oh, this is so sad.

glynis rankin said...

This was a very sad touching read, that brought a tear.
My Aunt died in her home from cancer, its hard on everyone, but she went in the matter of her choosing with family and friends around. In a circle of love.

Anonymous said...

Really touching and beautiful.

Atreyee said...

Very poignant and well told!

The Bloody Munchkin said...

@Glynis Re: "My Aunt died in her home from cancer, its hard on everyone, but she went in the matter of her choosing with family and friends around. In a circle of love."

My Aunt also died, this June in fact. She was partially the inspiration for this story. She got to die overlooking her roses which is what she wanted.