Friday, July 13, 2012

Come join my fish bowl

Seeking: Another fish to swim furiously in my bowl... Of writing!
So, remember how I said I felt like I was in a fishbowl while I was waiting for my book critique? Well, I got the critique back a while ago. I haven't talked about it much because I've needed some time to digest it all. The one thing I have figured out is that I may be in that fish bowl in more ways than one. I'm just beginning to realize that I might be doing an injustice to the book by not having more than family and friends read it and offer their feedback.

I really want to take the process of getting this published seriously. I'm taking a getting published class from Gotham Writer's Workshop right now. I'm thinking about different publishing methods/houses that might work for me.

But I need to take the process of critiquing just as seriously, only I don't know where to turn. I know that there are some editorial services that I can pay to get my work critiqued, but when you factor in their per word or per page charge, well... it ain't a huge amount but it's not something to just shake a stick at either. I'm not sure I'm ready to sink that much money into having my book critiqued by an outside source.

People have mentioned finding a critique/writers group either in my area or online as a free/cheap alternative, but I'm not sure where to begin. If you have any good suggestions, I'm open to them. I'm in Norcal, so a writing/critique group in the bay area would be great. Any online options you've had luck with would also be appreciated.

But I'm also putting out an open call to writers who have stuff they'd want me to critique and who would be willing to critique my stuff in return. I don't really care what genre you write in. I'm willing to give any sort of work a read and turn my critical eye to it, if you'd be willing to read my work in return.

What do you say? Ready to jump into my fishbowl? Come on in, the water's fine!

Hungry cats need not apply

No comments: