Monday, October 16, 2006

Movie Reviews: Brick

O.k., here's the thing. I liked it o.k. It was fast-paced, there was a lot involved it was great. That's not my problem. My problem is that the little blurb at the back of the DVD listed Lukas Haas's character as being ominous, which I was utterly looking forward to. I mean, that's what the Amish Kid from Witness needs right? To be edgy and ominous and dark. Sweet. Bring it on. But he wasn't edgy or ominous at all. He was essentially the same old Lukas Haas with a gimp, a bad hair cut and a walking stick featuring a duck on it, which, the Hell? And then, the very next scene he's in? He's sitting next to a ceramic rooster pitcher smugly eating a cookie. Not very ominous, not the psycho dark portrayal I was hoping for. But it was signature Lukas. The smugly eating a cookie thing though? Cracked me up.

It just really felt out of place to me, his performance. I enjoyed the movie as a whole, even if I didn't understand what was going on fully, and everyone's performance (except for maybe Lukas's) in it. I especially enjoyed the kid who plays The Brain. I loved that character for reasons I can't quite explain. And I'll just say it now. Joseph Gorden-Levitt was amazing. He had the chops in this movie and worked it hard. All and all a good movie, especially with the cookie eating, I can't explain why.

No comments: