Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Snarking the Trailer: Blades of Glory


O.k., here's the thing. I should know better. I really should. This movie could be a steaming pile. No I take that back, is almost positively a steaming pile. I'm sure of that deep down. To be a Will Ferrell vehicle is to be the same jokes recycled over and over again. I get that. After having seen School for Scoundrels, It's obvious that Will Heder has the one look, that "What an Idiot" scouly look he perfected in Napolean Dynamite, and that's all he knows how to use. I get that too. Will Arnett deserves better than to play the same character over and over again. That? I also get.


But does that stop me from wanting to see this movie? No. Does the trailer for this movie make me giggle like a school girl? Yes. Yes it does. Repeatedly, and with vigor. It's a figure skating movie!!! I can't not watch it!!! I have a long and storied tradition of watching most anything pertaining to figure skating. When Fighting Nun's out of the house, I have watched most of Ice Princess. Twice. ( I can never catch it at the beginning, otherwise I would watch it entirely.) And I know exactly what you're going to say; "Michelle. Tractenberg. Yeech. Seek Therapy." And believe me, after the rotting turd that was the last three season of Buffy, I get that. I seriously get that. And Yet. "Flying Shrimp." Hee. I have seen Ice Castles new fewer than twenty times ("We forgot about the roses." Swoon!!!) I had a fleeting, yet very palpable crush on D.B. Sweeney for about 3 months in my teens. ("I got better.") I have seen John Hancock's Champions on Ice. Twice. (I know!) Once I was even sober. (I.know.) And I know I've mentioned frying a TV for a certain French Figure Skating superstar (Phillipe!!!! Eeeeeeee!!!).


It's figure skating!!! And yes, I'm quite aware that Blades of Glory is a figure skating parody, but if there's been one sport that's been deserving of a parody movie, it's got to be Figure Skating. As much as I love the sport, it has just been itching to be poked fun at. Between the 'scandals' and the 'stereotypes', and the all the glitter and some of the worst costumes involving sequins and leotards this side of ballroom dancing, it needs a movie that makes light of it. So yeah, I'm in. I'll probably have to wait til it comes out on cable, because there is no way Fighting Nun is even remotely interested in this one. The trailer comes on, my eyes go wide and and the giggle starts and Fighting Nun just groans, which are just as frequent as his eye rolls. I got to say. Fighting Nun, you should really see a doctor.

2 comments:

Pillow Fighting Fanatic said...

God forbid someone makes a movie on Philippe Candeloro, because my eyes, as you so put, will get stuck to the back of my head!

The Bloody Munchkin said...

Dude!!! I could see it now!!! The Philippe Biopic entitled "Shirtless On Ice". I don't know who should star him but we'd be there opening day!!!