Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Bloody Munchkin's Media Consumption

It is no doubt obvious that I'm knee deep in media. Books, movies, music, tv. I'm all about it. This week in my media consumption, I'm all over the map.
Finished Reading - So, Eldest. When I read Eragon, I picked it up mostly because I read the dust cover, and found that the author starting writing the book when he was 15. I guess I just wanted to see if the kid had chops. After reading the first one, my immediate reaction was that it was good but a bit immature, like the writing hadn’t totally grown into itself yet, if that makes any sense.

Well, I saw no signs of that whatever in this second book. Kid has chops by the pound in this one. The prose was a lot more grown up and the story itself was elegantly crafted. The second book is so good in fact, and so intricately woven in with the first one, that I might have to read the first one again. Paolini makes certain things from the first book plot points in the second book that I never would have guessed at. And the ending, Jesus! I won’t give it away, but I will say that from the beginning of the book, I had kind of guessed at it, but even when my assumptions became true it was still a shock, more like a total and utter blow. I’m blaming that mostly on Paolini’s slight of hand that he pulled through the whole book, but that’s neither here nor there. He pulled everything off brilliantly and I tip my hat to him, and I anxiously await the third installment.

In summation, I only hope I can be as good a writer at 40 as this young man is at 20. Buy both books, read them. They are good. 8.5 out of 10.
Watching - Matt is a kickass. A kickass I tell you. He had the coolest opportunity in the world, being Tommy's roommate and all. Fighting Nun was envious. And, not like I need to say it, but the tutor was scorching.

Tivo'd but not watched yet - I'm only interested in it to see if David Boreanez can, like, not brood for five seconds. If he's all broody in this series, then I'm out. I already spent five years of my life watching him brood, I shall not invest another second unless he shows me he can pull off more than two emotions in a given episode.

Listening to - Eee! Yet even more Eee! Relistening to Republica is like all the sudden meeting up with the old boyfriend from high school that you always lent money too, never paid you back but was the only cool guy in school so you dated him anyway and when you meet up again, years later, you're all like, "damn he was cheesy, but still get it why I was into him?". Yeah, that's how this album is for me. It never fully pays the listener off but it's still awesome as hell. And the other? Billy Idol is a Rock and Roll God whom you should kiss the feet of and bring sacrafices to. You can argue with this contention all you like, but it won't do any good. He sneers people! And he rhymes words like "fact" with "sex attack"! Case closed.

No comments: