Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Bloody Munchkin’s Media Consumption
Not Reading – I’m trying to get through it, but it’s really not going anywhere. I’ll try and speed up the process so I’m ready when my prize comes to my door, but no promises…

Anxiously Awaiting – Today bitches! Somewhere, a black nail-polished, spiked-hair punk wannabe suburban teenager and his friend are crying right now because Fighting Nun and I got their tickets.

Watching – Aw, I really liked the father and son-in-laws team. They were all team-work and no drama. I bet they have awesome family get-togethers.

Listening to – I’d link to stuff, but it’s been kind of a mish-mash lately. I re-listened to The Postal Service album, Kaiser Chiefs, the new Gorillaz album (which I consequently still don’t like). Guess I got to make a new music run soon.

Frustratingly Watched – I get to blame Fighting Nun for this. I don’t dislike the premise, just the execution. Fighting Nun hit the main problem of the movie on the head. This is what happens when engineers think they can write a script. Nothing against engineers, but some things are better left to writers, and this script was one of them. I’m all for the Show don’t Tell philosophy, but some things could use with some exposition and this movie was one of them. And when Fighting Nun has to stop the movie and explain what was just said, it leaves the realm of decent cinematic journey into utter frustrating work. I was anxiously awaiting some sort muddled symbolism akin to Pi, but that never happened. By the end, all that was left was rage and frustration. Not worth it in my opinion.

Giddily Watched – If you have not seen this movie, remedy this oversight immediately. Watch several different iterations of it, turning subtitles on and off, language dubbing on and off, any way you choose, it’s awesome. I contend that messing with the language selection and subtitle features doesn’t detract but adds to the fun. I’m convinced this film is ripe for some sort of drinking game, I just haven’t figured it out yet. And, dare I say it, this film might have captured the best man-boob bounce-and-jiggle ever (you’ll know what I mean when you see it), and yes I’ve seen Fight Club. Also, dancing with axes? Genius!!!

No comments: